UNC Medical Center - Medical Technologist I – Transfusion
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
*Day, Evening, and Night shifts are available.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program which includes your choice $10,000 Tuition Loan Forgiveness or $10,000 Commitment Incentive. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?bid=12881
Performs a variety of patient testing and administrative tasks in support of the clinical activities in the UNCHCS.
This position would work exclusively in the blood bank which must provide 24/7 testing/service to the Medical Center for blood products needed in situations such as emergency release, trauma, MTP (massive transfusion protocol), ECMO, Operating Rooms, oncology, neonatal intensive care, ICUs, and labor & delivery. All technologists are trained on all aspects of the service and the majority of reference work in performed in house.
- Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. May participate on teams or perform special projects/assignments.
3. May perform teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. May serve as a technical resource.
4. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance in the appropriate laboratory.
5. Performs routine and less standardized test procedures which includes special chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic laboratory tests. Observes tests and reactions and provides data.
6. Prepares specimens and reagents, solutions, heat, or filters as required.
7. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with health care providers regarding test results.
8. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
● Requires Bachelor's of Science degree. Must meet eligibility requirements upon hire to sit for MT exam within 12 months of hire.
● Must become MLS/MT (ASCP), MT (NCA), or MT (AMT) certified within 12 months of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.